Kardea

Monday, January 21, 2008

Kardea Nutrition's Natural Bars for Cholesterol Management

O.K. I have gone off on a policy & political tangent over the past view days. I do think that the events and debates of last week regarding cholesterol medications required that I chime in.

Focusing back to the core goal of Kardea: to develop nutritional tools that enable natural cholesterol management. As a formulation standard we look to multiple product attributes: delicious, convenient, natural, calorie-mindful and therapeutic.

To optimize these attributes, I started looking at those foods that I am likely to eat everyday. If I was already eating, I was likely to keep eating it. If I wasn't already eating, I did not want to add a new source of calories. The trick was how to keep it something I crave while being effective, being therapeutic.

The nutritional bars were a really convenient place to start. Before founding Kardea, I had spent the last 12 years of my life running a specialty chocolate company. I had developed a habit--a craving--for a daily piece piece of dark chocolate (with a late morning cup of coffee--this has to be one of nature's great taste combinations!).

Certainly, dark chocolate is getting good reviews for its cardiovascular benefits. I certainly have tracked this, and discussed it with some people over at the Yale Medical School. This science seems promising, but I am not sure I would yet incorporate chocolate into my program for natural cholesterol management. Instead, I looked to develop a substitute for my morning craving. The Kardea bars achieved this goal, and then some.

First off, I think these bars really are tasty. All natural ingredients such as almond butter, authentic spices like nutmeg, clove or cardamom, real fruit and full flavors.

These bars also provide meaningful levels of plant sterols (1 full gram), fiber (7 grams; 3 grams of heart hearthy soluble fiber) and protein (7 grams total and close to 4 grams of soy protein). The FDA has endorsed these nutrients for their ability to help improve blood lipid profiles including a lowering of LDL (bad) cholesterol.

While only 150 calories each, these bars are more satisfying that the morning chocolate fix. I suspect this is a tribute to the protein and fiber levels.

Further, the bars are sweentened with lower glycemic agave syrup and brown rice syrup. Couple these with the fibers which slow glucose uptake, and I feel that I evened out the sugar spike. So by lunch, I no longer have the urge to eat too fast and too much.

The whole family has been eating the samples through the development process. We all ---friends and family--really enjoy them. Our first production run is now scheduled for mid-February, and they will be available to ship at the end of this month.

To get a product availability alert with an introductory 25% coupon, sign up for our newletter, UpBeat. http://visitor.constantcontact.com/email.jsp?m=1101913937814&p=oi

For additional product information: http://shop.kardeanutrition.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=KNFNCM

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home