Kardea

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Natural Cholesterol Management - Numbers are In

In a four month period, I naturally lowered my LDL (bad) cholesterol from 161mg/dl to 131mg/dl (about 19% improvement), increased my HDL (good) cholesterol from 55 to 61 (about a 10% improvement). Total cholesterol was reduced from from 228 (it had been as high as 239) to 201. I am not yet at the "under 200" target, but with my relatively high HDLs and declining LDLs, I was now closing in on some desireable cholesterol levels.

I achieved these goals with a less-than-disciplined, natural approach combining plant sterols, viscous soluble fiber and low levels of immediate release niacin from nicotinic acid.

I always have eaten fairly well. Low in terms of red meat and dairy, low in terms of saturated fats, processed foods and dietary cholesterol. Mediterranean cuisine also has long been a personal preference, and I use olive oil (and occassionally canola oil) in all cooking and food prep. I also eat a fair amount of vegetables and whole grains, and lots of fruit.

My internist had suggested that I might need to consider the use of a medication to achieve better cholesterol levels. As an otherwise healthy 49 male, I was not ready to start a lifetime of medication to create healthier cholesterol levels. I began a search for the alternatives, and found that a number of nutrients ---viscous soluble fibers, plant sterols, niacin and Omega-3 fatty acids --- can collectively enable an individual to substantially improve one's blood lipid profiles.

So, I began developing a personal program that incorporates these nutrients in foods and supplements. More importantly, I was looking to enjoy these foods (food and cooking are my pre-occupation and a source of daily joy). With my somewhat less-than-disciplined approach to consuming soluble fiber, plant sterols and niacin, I achieved the results noted above.

Note on full disclosure: While I weigh about the same amount, I did increase the frequency of exercise from 2 to 4 days per week. My workout intensity also increased.

I am now looking to refine my approach to further improve my blood lipid levels. As someone with year's of experience in the natural and gourmet foods, I also decided to create Kardea Nutrition to develop products that comfortably fit into my daily eating habits (and hopefully yours!). I also do not want these foods to lead to an increase in the total level of calories I take in each day.

My first set of products should be available in early February, but early in Janary, you will be able to log onto my website to see what's coming (http://www.kardeanutrition.com/).

Overall, I am sincerely interested in networking with others that are attempting to manage cholesterol levels naturally. Let's share what is working.....and based in part on these exchanges, I will be developing other foods and supplements that strive to meet the combined goals of delicious, natural, calorie-mindful and effective in terms of natural cholesterol management.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At January 17, 2008 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Richard Gamer said...

An article in today's New York Times calls into question the use of cholesterol lowering drugs in the prevention of heart attacks. I chose not to go the drug route several years ago for the reason that I believed that taking a drug to lower cholesterol would simply mask a larger lifestyle issue. Lowering LDLs in and of itself is apparently not the solution to maintaining heart health. It is part of a solution that should also include lowering your intake of saturated fats and increasing your intake of good fats. All of which can not only help reduce your cholesterol, but help prevent the kind of plaque formations that can lead to heart disease. This is where something like Natural Cholesterol Management has the advantage over a pill. What you need is not a quick fix but an actual lifestyle change that can improve your overall health.

 
At January 17, 2008 at 10:54 AM , Blogger Rob said...

Points very well taken. The NIH actual advances Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes (TLC) as the critical place to start, and concludes that for many, TLC achieves results that allow avoidance of medications.

That said, what has been your results? Have you achieved meaningful improvements in you blood lipid profile?

In terms of nutrition, you also can go way beyond the "good fat/bad fat" approach.

Try incorporating plant sterols and soluble fiber into your diet. These can lower LDLs (bad cholesterol) in excess of 20%. Then consider niacin (nicotinic acid) supplements at 500mg/day and Omega-3s from marine sources. These can improve others aspects of your blood lipids.

And you are right: collectively, this lifestyle approach goes well beyond cholesterol alone, and helps promote broader cardiovascular and general health.

Cheers!

 
At January 19, 2008 at 9:50 AM , Blogger Richard Gamer said...

I started on a diet an exercise regime last June. I cut way back on red meat and dairy, ate more fish, fruits and vegetables. For breakfast I have either oatmeal or an oat bran cereal. I've also been getting some omega 3s from Fish Oil supplements. I exercise a few mornings a week, but only for about 15 to 20 minutes. The other thing I've done is include a glass of red wine nightly with my dinner. When I tested my cholesterol back in August, it was already down from 230 to 207, though my HDLs were steady at a low 35. It's hard to tell what has been mainly responsible for drop in overall numbers, since I haven't really isolated any of the variables. I'm scheduled for another blood test next month. I'l be interested to see how much lower if any my total numbers have dropped -especially since I've lost about 20 pounds since June as well. The big challenge remains bringing up the HDLs, but I guess that means starting on Niacin. I look forward to your products coming out. It is a challenge maintaining a diet of the right foods. Your bars and supplements should make that considerably easier.

 
At January 19, 2008 at 10:33 AM , Blogger Rob said...

As part of my cholesterol managing crusade, I have used niacin (as nicotinic acid--the other forms do not work). It is available as both a supplement and in the form of a prescription drug. Don't get turned off by the flushing side-effect. I started at low doses (100mg at lunch and dinner) and worked my way up to about 500mg per day. After about 4 months, my HDLs went up by about 10%. This is consistent with various studies. If you are interested in doing some of your own reading, go to http://www.kardeanutrition.com/resources/health-professionals.aspx.

Also, if I extrapolate your numbers, it looks like your LDLs are at or about 160. With your HDLs, this is likely to be above the NIH recommended targets. What does your docter say? If it is on the high side, you probably would benefit from more soluble fiber (from oats, barley, psyllium, fruits, beans). Get 15+ grams of this kind of soluble fiber (and a serving of oatmeal has only 2g) and you could see another 5% reduction in LDls. Also, I would not overlook plant sterol. They have been shown to reduce LDL cholesterol by up to 15%

Like you, I really am not sure which piece of all this works best. I take the view that all these nutrients represents a system. Take them all together at "therapeutic" levels, and those boarderline high cholesterol types like us should be successful.

The good news: all this is inherently measurable with blood test prescribed your doctor.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home